Building & Zoning Permits



An owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy or use a commercial building, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system regulated by the PA Uniform Construction Code, shall obtain a required permit.


  1. When Permit Required. An application shall be submitted to the Zoning officer for the following activities, and it shall be unlawful and a violation of City Zoning Ordinance for any of the following activities to commence without a Zoning Permit first being issued:
  1. Excavation for foundation;
  2. Construction or alteration of any building or structure;
  3. Construction of an addition to a building or structure;
  4. Demolition or moving of a building or structure;
  5. Making or affecting a change of occupancy or use of vacant land or any building or structure;
  6. Movement of a lot line which affects an existing structure, such movement being subject to regulations established in the City ’s Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance;
  7. Construction or alteration of any drive or other access to a City street or State highway;
  8. Occupancy of any street or highway with building materials or of temporary structures for construction purposes.
  9. Construction or installation of swimming pools or spas holding over 24" of water in depth.
  10. Construction or alteration of signs.
  11. Construction of fences
  1. Repairs Application or notice to the City is not required for ordinary repairs to buildings or structures, but such repairs shall not include: the cutting away of any wall, partition or portion thereof; removal or cutting of any structural beam or loadbearing support; removal or change of any required means of egress and/or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements; or addition to, alteration of or replacement or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring, mechanical or other work affecting the public health or general safety. NOTE: Certain repairs will require issuance of a UCC permit and inspection(s) under the Uniform Construction Code Ordinance, even where a Zoning Permit is not required.